Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

Project 3: RESEARCH PAPER DUE DATE: SUNDAY, 11:59 PM ET WEEK

Customer Question

Project 3: RESEARCH PAPER
DUE DATE: SUNDAY, 11:59 PM ET WEEK 7
100 points
Goal:
The goal of this project is to relate contemporary and controversial issues in nutrition with current peer-reviewed research. Please refer to rubrics on how the research paper will be graded.
Objectives:
The student will:
1. Identify a nutrition topic that relates contemporary and controversial issues in nutrition that may be of relevance to the student or to this course. Topic does not have to be approved by the instructor.
2. Locate reliable nutrition information from a variety of credible scientific sources/references.
3. Make a thoughtful evaluation of the sources.
4. Select the references from credible sources. Three of the sources MUST be from scientific sources or research. They also must appear in the body of the paper with proper referencing. Sources should be reported in the last five years.
5. Create a bibliography utilizing the APA format.
6. Turn in a typed, double spaced, in acceptable professional format paper.
Outcomes:
1. Purpose/focus: Research and write about a controversial nutrition topic that is relevant to the student or to this course. Topics that are of interest to you may prove easier for you to research. The paper must clearly and accurately relate a contemporary and controversial issue in nutrition.
2. Body of the paper: A double spaced paper that covers the controversy of both sides of the nutrition topic. Provide facts and quotations from a variety of sources. Facts and ideas are either expressed in your words or else completely and correctly documented. The body of the paper should support the stated purpose or problem.
3. Conclusion: presents a logical explanation for findings and addresses the issues outlined in the body of the paper.
4. Bibliography: comprised of credible/scientific sources that help you to define the controversial nutrition topic.
Suggested Methodology:
1. Think about a nutrition topic that may be of personal interest or at least relevant to this course. Write your focus/topic down and mention why it is relevant to you. You could select a health issue, a particular food, etc. There are several strategies you can use to find a controversial topic for your paper:
a. Examples of Quality Web sources can be (for topics-not articles):
i. http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/en/
ii. http://www.dietitian.com
iii. http://www.umuc.edu/library/index.cfm
b. Reference Books or Professional Journals – index searching/browsing:
i. Diet and Nutrition text books
ii. “Archives of Internal Medicine”
iii. “American Journal of Clinical Nutrition”
iv. “The Lancet”
Think about keywords, concepts, synonyms, and related terms that you will be using to start searching for information from sources (journal articles, periodicals, published authors, etc...) These sources should contain scientific research studies conducted and reported in the last five years.
Your first task is to narrow down and describe your topic as precisely as possible to make sure that you find exactly what you want. Write it out; though you can't search for a whole sentence or question, this will help you articulate your topic.
For example:
2. You might be interested in the effects of caffeine but what aspect? Unless you are doing background research for books and reference works, don't search for a broad topic; this will give you thousands (or millions in a search engine like Google) of results.
3. Ask a specific research question; for example, "My topic is on the connections between drinking coffee and how the caffeine can affect your health, for example, by raising your blood pressure."
4. Find articles relating to the focus of your paper. You can use Google, other search engines, and reputable web-sites such as Pub Med or the UMUC library - http://www.umuc.edu/library/index.cfm
5. Consider the level of detail of the articles. They should contain the components of research articles (abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion/conclusion and references). Explore the conclusions of the article. Sometimes you may not be able to understand all the details of the study; however, you should be able to follow and grasp the main findings outlined in the Discussion/Conclusions section. The article should have its own bibliography/reference list that cites other research studies.
6. Select the credible articles which you will use in answering or supporting your topic. Read the articles, and then write a brief summary of the information. Add your own thoughts about the research and its implications for our lives. Develop 3 questions/observations linking the research procedure – the results- implications.
7. Once the focus/topic statement is narrowed down, write the topic in its final form.
8. Create a bibliography in a professional format using the APA -American Psychological Association format.
9. Write a double spaced paper that answers your question/problem.
10. Turn in on Due Date according to your syllabus.
POSSIBLE CONTROVERSIAL TOPICS THAT MAY BE USED (BUT NOT LIMITED TO):
1. Nutrition information and misinformation (on the net and in the news).
2. Vegetarian diets in children
3. Vitamin and Mineral supplementation
4. Nutrition and Nutritional genomics
5. Ethical issues in nutrition care
6. Illness, mental health, and nutrition
7. Does the FDA protect the Public?
8. Can your diet be tailored or customized to your genetic signature?
9. Is the mercury in canned fish or farmed fish safe to eat?
10. What can you do about childhood obesity?
11. Are Nutrition Journalists taken as seriously as Licensed Nutrition Healthcare Professionals?
12. What kind of fats and oils are healthiest?
13. Science vs. Nature in Nutrition
14. Fad diets vs. nutrition research by scientists
15. Does a high-carbohydrate diet contribute to the formation of cataracts in women?
16. Sugar or sweeteners added to foods for taste.
17. Genetically-engineered vegetables and cloned farm livestock.
18. Reversals of new studies regarding food benefits.
19. Reporting in the Media differences of opinion within the scientific community.
20. Scientists not sharing findings in different fields that affect nutrition.
21. Food labeling issues (missing ingredients from labels such as “spices” mean MSG rather than a natural spice such as garlic powder.)
22. Issues of Mad Cow Disease, prions transmitted from animals to humans, hog-related influenzas and pneumonias that people can catch, and avian (bird) flu which is transmittable to humans handling the birds or poultry.
23. Soy protein: does it cause health problems or is it healthy and may reduce risk of heart disease? Does it help prevent bone loss? Or does it over stimulate the thyroid? Is soy milk safe to drink? What is the ongoing debate about, and what are the issues and evidence?
24. Food Allergies and what should be listed on labels.
25. Trans-fats added to packaged, processed, or prepared and restaurant foods and issues regarding the effects on health of eating trans-fats.
Research Paper Rubric
A. Introduction
Presents a concise lead-in to the report.
B. Purpose/Problem
The paper clearly and accurately relates contemporary and controversial issues in nutrition.
C. Content
The writer provides facts and quotations from a variety of sources. Facts and ideas are either expressed in the writer’s words or else completely and correctly documented. The body of the paper supports the stated purpose or problem and is exhibits unity and coherence.
D. Research Element
The writer must used all 5+ references at least once in the paper and be properly cited. At least 3 of the references must be from a credible Research Study.
E. Conclusion
Presents a logical explanation for findings and addresses the issues outlined in the body of the paper.
F. Grammar & Spelling
There are no errors in mechanics, usage, grammar, or spelling. Word choice is precise and appropriate for the audience.
G. Length of paper
5+ pages double spaced, not counting the cover page and Bibliography.
H. Timeliness
Report handed in on time.
Category: Long Paper (3+ pages)
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Greg.

Is there any other information you can send to see if I can assist on it this for you? If you have any documents you can upload, you can do so to mediafire.com or box.com and share the link here with us.

If I had a model and could provide that as a model (would have to check files to see if I have one), would that be sufficient or are you seeking a fully written new model document?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg,A fully written document or a previous model may work. I have attached all I have as far the documents go. Can you use these documents? Also I have to submit to Turnitin. Has to be plagiarism free. Is that okay?

Hello, my name is Greg.