Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

2007 Lexus GS450h Hybrid - 119k miles. After a few minutes…

Customer Question
2007 Lexus GS450h Hybrid -...
2007 Lexus GS450h Hybrid - 119k miles . After a few minutes of running the cabin smells like rotten eggs very strong. What should I check for ? The battery in trunk seems to be fine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lexus
10/26/2021
Lexus Mechanic: Keiphun Sowell,
 replied 1 year ago
Keiphun Sowell

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'm the technician that will be assisting you today.

Currently reviewing your information, I will respond as soon as possible.

With whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with?

Lexus Mechanic: Keiphun Sowell,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello, This is Keith from Just Answer.

Sorry to hear about your issue. I hope you have had a great day so far.

The smell is coming from your catalytic converter. It is clogged and will need to be replaced.

This will solve the rotten egg smell.

I hope this is the information you were looking for.

Kind regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will a cataclean solution or another Catalytic converter cleaner work? I’m not getting any codes
Lexus Mechanic: Keiphun Sowell,
 replied 1 year ago

It could, But since you are at the point of having the strong smell. It may be beyond repair.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK so I checked it again and the smell is actually coming from the trunk and I just put a new battery in it but the smell is coming from where the new battery was just put inI can smell it from inside the cabin as well
Lexus Mechanic: Keiphun Sowell,
 replied 1 year ago

Okay, So this means the car is overcharging the battery. This would also be the reason the first battery died. I would recommend not driving the car anymore until the overcharge issue is resolved. An overcharging condition could also cause damage to control modules.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The first battery didn’t die I just replaced it to see if the smell will go away
Lexus Mechanic: Keiphun Sowell,
 replied 1 year ago

I see, Thanks for the information.

The issue is the battery is overcharging.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just found a second battery in the trunk a larger battery that was overheating and smelling like eggs I believe this is it
Lexus Mechanic: Keiphun Sowell,
 replied 1 year ago

Okay, That is the hybrid battery. I would have the system checked first to make sure the inverter that charges the battery is not bad before replacing the battery.