Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Gas cap and check engine, check VSC light came on in my

Customer Question
Gas cap and check...

Gas cap and check engine, check VSC light came on in my Lexus IS250.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

The light blinks. And the car won't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lexus?

2006 IS250

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to check and see if I can see anything. Stuck on the side of the road.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just removed and replaced the gas cap back on.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Lexus
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Lexus Mechanic: Ron Z., - Lexus Tech - replied 2 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

When the gas cap light comes on, the Check Engine Light will set shortly there after. This in turn, sets the VSC light, turning this system off. With the Check Engine light set along with the gas cap, this means the problem may not actually be a cap problem, but rather a problem in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System. There are dozens of parts and sensors in the EVAP System. Very commonly, this is a faulty VSV (vacuum switching valve) in the EVAP system. At this point, we'll need the diagnostic trouble codes (aka "p-codes") scanned from the on-board computer. These p-codes will more accurately point to the part or sensor that has the problem. And from there, the correct repair can be made. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, etc). In the meantime... It is perfectly save to drive the vehicle. An EVAP problem will not affect engine performance or reliability in any way. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating my answer does not cost you extra.

How do you get the car started?

Oh the vehicle does not start? My apologies! I did not know this. Are you getting any sounds when cranking the engine? Is it turning over but not catching?