Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

2001 RX300. CODE 1346 - CLEANED OUT THE OIL SCREENS FOR THE…

Customer Question
2001 RX300. CODE 1346...

2001 RX300. CODE 1346 - CLEANED OUT THE OIL SCREENS FOR THE VVT ACTUATORS OIL SUPPLY - REPLACED THE VVT CONTROL SOLENOIDS - TIMING BELT IS ON RIGHT - THE CAM SENSORS HAVE THE CORRECT WAVE FORM. WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

DON'T THINK SO.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Lexus
3/31/2018
Lexus Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

If you clear the 1346 code doesn't come right back instantly? Was this code here prior to doing the timing belt? Do you have a picture of the waveforms of the cam sensors?

IT TAKES 2-3 DRIVE CYCLES FOR THE 1346 TO RETURN. THE TIMING BELT WAS NOT CHANGED. i DO NOT HAVE PICTURES OF THE WAVE FORMS. JUST OBSERVED ON A FRIEND'S OSCILLOSCOPE. WIRING TO THE CAM SENSOR FROM THE PCM HAS CONTINUITY AS WELL AND NO SHORT TO POWER OR GROUND.

Ok struggling with internet connection keeps going out I will gather some info and get back to you.

OK

Okay this code that you're getting 1346 means that there is a mechanical issue or system malfunction i.e. jump timing belt skip timing or an erratic signal between the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor. If you look at the scope patterns of just the cam sensors they probably would look normal the only way to determine this is to compare of the correlation timing between the cam sensor and the crank sensor. What the computer is looking for is not there. It is shifted one way or the other. This is not an oil control valve or VVTI system malfunction. This is strictly camshaft to crankshaft timing correlation. If the timing belt has never been done it's possible it is stretched a little or there's a problem with the crankshaft position signal or the generating wheel behind the pulley behind the cover. My recommendation would be to pull the cover and check the timing belt to make sure did not jump time. If you need any other specific information regarding this issue feel free to reply and I will get back to you. If you have not done so please do not forget to rate the assistance I provided to you today at three or higher and a five would be awesome thank you.

Hmmm. If it was the timing belt the code would come back right away after starting it post erasing the code. Is that not correct? How do you check the VVT system to see if the cam is advancing and retarding correctly?

I believe this code is a two trip detection logic it has to see the malfunction in***** cycles. You can advance and retard the VV TI actuator on the camshaft by applying power and ground directly to the duty oil control valve. Doesn't matter what side power which side ground is just an on-off solenoid. Power should advance the controller to full advance and will probably cause the car to stall or run rough. If you hold the engine RPM up then take the power supply off actuator should retard back to normal and I will idle smoothly.