Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I have a 1995 ls400 and am replacing the timing belt. The…

I have a 1995...

I have a 1995 ls400 and am replacing the timing belt. The timing marks regarding the camshaft pulleys is a simple green mark on the engine and a green and red marks on the pulleys themselves. What are the red marks for?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

I found small tears while replacing spark plugs and am now immersed in a larger repair

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '95 Lexus?

Ls400

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have taken the correct parts off and am replacing the water pump at the same time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just the correct timing belt replacement procedure. Some instructions tell me to move the crankshaft to 50 degrees after top dead center to install a new belt.

3/25/2018
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the crankshaft should be approximately 50 dregrees, when first aligning the marks, then brought back to tsc to check the alignment, this assures the pistons do not hit the valves, but there should be a mark that is permanant on the cam shaft pulleys, and the new belt should have lines on the top of the belt for aligning??

I can post the factory procedure for doing this if you like?

I am confused by the two paint marks on the camshaft pulleys. One green to indicate tdc but what is the red?

they are factory marks for installing the pulley on the assembly line, would you like a copy on the procedure fro aligning this?

below is a file containing all the info for doing this,Tim

I am not replacing the camshaft pulleys so can I leave the alignment marks at tdc?

Yes

pleas dont forget to rate me, so i can get credit for helping,thanks, tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER