Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I need knee airbags removed in 2012 lexus es350. I live in…

I need knee airbags...

I need knee airbags removed in 2012 lexus es350. I live in s. calif. Nobody has a clue how to go about

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Lexus?

How can I get this done?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Es350. No, I'm trying to find someone to do it and nobody can tell me who can...lexus dealer won't touch it. Had bad injury from knee bag in prior car that was totaled.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so...

3/25/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Are you removing these airbags to replace or permanently?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
permanently removed

I can provide you with the removal information for both sides. Although, if you do not plan on replacing them, your airbag light will stay on. There will be no way to get rid of it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that's ok. I can't do this job myself, I need to find someone who will do this, can you help me with this?

No, unfortunately not. I will open this question up so that another expert may help you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ive already talked to lexus dealer, they told me to get a letter from DVW and DMV would send me list of places I could take the car. Dealer won't touch it. DMV only does this for adding features to cars - like breathalyzers or something. I hit a wall.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will wait to hear from other mechanic. Thanks I think.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Different expert here.

Your best option is find a friend to remove them for you with directions I can provide.

Shops will not do this as it is a liability issue for them as well as against Federal regulations for a shop to disable or remove mandated safety features such as airbags or seatbelts. The potential in both lawsuits and fines from the NHTSA far outweigh whatever amount you would pay them to do this.

If you have a friend that is mechanically inclined, let me know and I can upload directions

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nope, no friend, sorry, guess I'm just screwed here. These should be optional addons. The wheel airbags technology has gotten better but the kneebags did major lower limb damage. I have replaced knees. I have a lifetime risk of losing knee/leg if the graft from the wreck gets infected and into the knee joint. If I get hit again and the knee bag blows again I am at extremely high risk. Are any cars being made WITHOUT knee bags???

HI,

Not since 2008 and even most from 2000 to 2007 have at least a driver side knee airbag

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do I print all this?

You should be able to right click on the screen to print it, but give me a moment and I will put it in a pdf file and attach so you can download to your computer and print out

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, r u emailing it to me?

HI,

It is attached here

Click on the blue highlighted link I just posted. At the upper right, you should see a downward pointing arrow. Click on that to download it to your computer

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, got it, thanks, ***** ***** rate you now and then i'll be done...bye.

You are welcome.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager