Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Toyota Service, I am getting a code P0333 in a 2009 Toyota…

Hi Toyota Service, I am getting...
Hi Toyota Service,
I am getting a code P0333 in a 2009 Toyota Sienna (3.5L). How do I troubleshoot this code?
Originally this code appeared with a P2197 code but that has since disappeared after replacing the B2S1 A/F Sensor.
Only code remains now is P0333 together with Vsc light and reappears after clearing. This vehicle cannot pass emissions due to this light.
Your help is appreciated! Thank you.
3/24/2018
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Thanks for requesting me. Please allow me to assist you. A P0333 is one of the more difficult codes to troubleshoot. A P0333 code is a knock sensor code. The causes for this code are rather varied. It could be as simple as a bad sensor, rodent damage to the wires to the sensor (for some reason, tiny field mice love to gnaw on the knock sensor wires), or a bad connection on the wire connection. A knock sensor is a piezoelectric crystal that venerates a tiny voltage when the engine is knocking. Since the sensor Transmits input to the computer, checking for voltage and ground do not work when troubleshooting. Probably the best thing to do here is to pull the intake off and inspect the wires. If the wires are good, replace the sensor, and put it back together. (assuming the engine does not have over 150,000 miles on it).

Do you have directions for sensor replacement? Thanks.

Take a look at this You Tube video. This is not a Sienna but the engine is basically the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5PQxTSL_w

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Excellent! Thanks for your help!

You are very welcome. Glad to help. Thanks for choosing Just Answer!