Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I had code p1305 indicating igniter #2 for 96 lexus ls400.

this vehicle has 2 igniters...
i had code p1305 indicating igniter #2 for 96 lexus ls400. this vehicle has 2 igniters and 2 coils. the vehicle runs for a two seconds and dies. i tried switching the ignitors and nothing. put them back as they were and it will start and die again. my question is could my second coil be at fault or just change the igniter?
3/24/2018
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

You look to have the same issue as one I helped on prior. Can you look over this file and do these tests?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdja4l4p0xrzzxb/igniter.png?dl=0

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

i notice that one igniter has five wires and the second has 4. i feel im close to resolving this issue but id hate to buy the igniter and my second coil be the culprit. any suggestions?
the right hand coil (facing the vehicle front) is good and i have spark. left nothing. crank and cam sensors tested and good. new fuel pump and filter

Did you do the tests in the link I sent?

im doing the tests at the moment. will report back.

Super

it looks seems it will be the igniter 2. i would like to test both coils. any ideas?

You can only test the coil output to confirm it is good when the igniters are working correctly.

i have spark on the right side and nothing on the left (facing the front of vehicle) its either the igniter or coil or both. for sure one igniter is working. switching them causes crank no strart.
any other info would be greatly appreciated

Sorry, you feel I am a bad tech based on your rating. If you would like me to continue helping you will need to change that 1-star rating to a 5-star rating.

Chris (aka - Moose)

Are both igniters, and coils getting power on the black/red wire with the key on?

Right side igniter, does the black wire pulse ground when running or cranking?

Left side igniter, does the black/white wire pulse ground when running or cranking?

If you swap the coils does it run any different?