Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I have a 1998 lexus ls400. the battery and ABS light is on.

I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 lexus ls400. the battery and ABS light is on. Noticed the electric power down (rolling windows, etc) Check the battery voltage is at 12.1v, with the engine running, voltage goes down to 9.0v.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

ABS and the battery indicator.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '98 Lexus?

Ls400

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, just the alternator output driving the battery voltage down.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

3/19/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. With those specs, this means that the alternator isn't charging and has failed. That is why the battery light is on. The ABS light would usually mean that one of the wheel speed sensors or something of that nature has failed, but with the alternator not charging, I would not worry about the ABS light. The alternator is your main concern. Give me a moment, please, while I check for a fuse that you can check. Although, the most probable cause is the alternator.

Ok, standing by.

Here I am attaching the electrical information for the alternator circuit. You can check the fuse label ALT(alternator) in the engine compartment fuse box.

If this fuse is sound, then you will need to have the alternator bench tested and replaced as needed.

Thanks

Anytime.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician