Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I have Lexus RX350, 2012 model. RX350 as per the latest oil…

Customer Question
Hi, I have Lexus...

Hi, I have Lexus RX350, 2012 model.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Lexus?

RX350 as per the latest oil change the lexus service provider, has identiied a oil pan gasket leak which requires to be replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

No i have never replaced Gaskets

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not fixed the vehicle myself, but I am looking for an appropriate repair shop that can give me appropriate estimates for the same

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The recommended service is: Reseal sub oil pan gasket

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Lexus
3/14/2018
Lexus Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Many miles are on your vehicle? Did they physically show you the oil leaks? Do you have any pictures of the leak? Have you noticed any leaks on the ground? Do you have the vehicle identification number available?

right now, I have 62,000 miles. I dont see the oil leaks on the ground yet, but it is in early phase of oil leak that has been identified by the mechanic. I can get the VIN number shortly.
I have got a repair estimate of $2K, but I dont know if this could be covered within the warranty.

Post the vehicle identification number back here so I can look into a few things and see if they can text you a few pictures of the oil leak so I can see how bad it is so that I can advise you accordingly. Do you have an extended warranty?

The VIN number is *****

Did you Get my last reply?

Okay looked at a few things and in the history in February 2017 this had a timing cover front reseal under warranty. Your only 2000 miles out of the powertrain warranty which is five years and 60,000 miles. I would be concerned that that front cover did not get sealed correctly that was only about 14,000 miles ago. I would seriously consider forcing the dealer to take care of this under their warranty policy. If you are getting that many oil leaks on the ground it's probably the front cover it's very rare that the oil pan separator is leaking. They're not known to leak as the front cover and if it wasn't done correctly it's probably leaking again. If you need any more detailed information regarding this issue feel free to reply and I will get back to you otherwise please do not forget to rate the assistance I provided you today at three or higher and a five would be awesome thank you.

Can you please explain - "
that front cover did not get sealed correctly that was only about 14,000 miles ago. "
in a more layman language please

When I looked at the service history that front timing cover which is notorious to leak and cause all kinds of oil problems down the front and bottom of the engine was resealed a year ago February 22. It's very possible they did not get that repair job done correctly and it is now continuing to leak which would cause it to leak down onto the block separator which is above the oil pan. This is a two-piece oil pan system with a block stiffener than a metal pan bolted to the block stiffener portion of the block. What I'm essentially saying is they may be misdiagnosing this because they're not looking at the previous repair job to see if it's leaking again. Does that make sense?

also, i have an extended warranty from fidelity warranty services - and i have gold plus plan. The details are given in http://www.fidelitywarrantyservices.com/brochures/vehicle-protection. Can you confirm if the oil gasket leak can also be covered as part of this plan?

The gold plus plan includes everything that the gold plan has and if you go to the gold plan it specifically says oil pans, timing covers and so on for the engine. You should be good to go on as it has not expired. But I would just make sure they diagnosed it correctly.

Thanks, ***** ***** reach out to the Lexus guys.

You are welcome.

Quick question - when you said you found this in service records, did you find in February 2017 or February 2018?
nevermind, i looked up. thanks

2017