Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Woke up today with two codes PO031 and P0031on a 2013 Lexus…

Woke up today with...

Woke up today with two codes PO031 and P0031on a 2013 Lexus ES 350 I find it strange two bad oxygen sensors at once could this be bad gas ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?

Yes it gave me POO31 PO051

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ES yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just went and looked at all the oxygen sensors to make sure Everything looked intact and in good shape

3/11/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

While bad gas is certainly a possibility, I would more suspect the #1 integration relay that controls the O2 sensor heater circuits.

Give me a few minutes to pull the schematics and relay location

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh yes just checked it also gave me a PO 302 which is the heater control circuit

Ok, in the engine compartment fuse box, check the fuse labeled A/F. This is the air/fuel sensor heater fuse for integration relay. Air/fuel sensor are the upstream O2 sensors

See attached for fuse location. It is a 20amp fuse. IF not sure if good or not, go ahead and replace with new fuse and erase codes and see if they come back and let me know

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fused has to get an a cut knew the meter that does seem to be a little iffy at the contact point couple small nicks at the contact point so I'm going to go get a new fuse and gas

HI,

Ok, do that and if the codes come back, you will need to do the following

with key on, check for 12v at the black wire, pin 2, on the right side sensor harness connector and then on the green wire, pin 2 at the left side sensor harness connector

If 12v not present, then a bad integration relay, which unfortunately is integrated in the engine compartment fuse box circuitry and requires replacing the fuse box.

If 12v is present, then let me know and will go from there in testing.

Most times when you get these codes at the same time, it is either the fuse or the integration relay

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Put new gas in Joe about 5 miles replace fuse still same thing
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also car only has 47,000 miles on it

HI,

Ok, you need to check for 12v with key on at the wires I previously indicated. I suspect that the integration relay has failed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK I think I found the problem Eric it's called rat shit with the chewed the wire I can't believe I didn't get a code for that Lol
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do me a favor my wife says they build the five dollar fee three times can you make sure they just did it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Once
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you again

HI,

You are welcome.

I dont see the billing end, but can send a message to customer service to check into it.

Please remember to use separate popup rating page to rate service. Thanks

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager