Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

The coolant was low and after I filled it up it was

Customer Question
The coolant was low...

The coolant was low and after I filled it up it was difficult to start and when I stopped it was smoking

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

164,000 fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 164?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 164 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I added coolant and would like to know if I should add water to the radiator

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Lexus
3/11/2018
Lexus Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 4 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Was is smoking from the tailpipe or the engine compartment?

Have you rechecked the coolant level to see if it is low again?

Engine compartment by the radistir

HI,

Ok, unless you spilled coolant when you added some, this means that there is a leak, either the radiator or a radiator hose.

Check the coolant and if low again, add a mix of coolant and water, crank engine and see if you can see where it is leaking at. If you cannot, it will need to be pressure tested to find the source of the leak.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.