Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Check engine light came on same time check VSC light came on…

Check engine light came...

Check engine light came on same time check VSC light came on the same time little car with squggy lines came on. Cleaned and tighten gas cap, worked for awhile then lights came on again?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Just stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lexus?

2008 is 250

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your IS 250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes just tried gas cap, and seemed to work for awhile

3/8/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!
If you removed the fuel cap and the lights cleared themselves but then came back shortly there after, this is going to be a problem in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System. Unfortunately, there are literally dozens of parts and sensors in the EVAP System, so to take a "guess" as to which has the fault and be correct would be impossible. I can say, more commonly, this is a faulty VSV (vacuum switching valve) for EVAP, VSV for Pressure Switching or a faulty Vapor Pressure Sensor. To narrow down our list of suspects here, we'll need the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") scanned from the on-board computer. These p-codes will more accurately point to the faulty part or sensor and from there the correct testing and repair can be made. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, etc). Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Just one more ? ok to drive, until I determine which EVAP sensor I am dealing with?

Absolutely. Perfectly safe to drive. The EVAP System is strictly for emissions and will in no way affect engine performance or reliability.

You've been a great help!!!! I'm off to advance auto parts to get the codes

You're welcome! GLad I could be of some help today! Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page! Have a great day!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -