Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Battery on our 2001 Lexus RX-300 was totally dead. I

Battery on our 2001...

Battery on our 2001 Lexus RX-300 was totally dead. I suspected that it is an alternator issue, but I charged the battery and when I replaced it in the car, the horn went off as I connected the second terminal - any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Yes, I'm getting better than 12 volts when I put my voltmeter on it outside the car

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Lexus?

Basic RX-300, front wheel drive only. Had a few electrical issues years ago (cutting out while driving, but none of that lately)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing except just trying top replace battery after charging - horn is preventing me from completing installation.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else that I can think of

3/8/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started! when installing battery's and disconnecting always remove negative first then positive and install positive then negative, in your case if horn still goes off use key fob to lock and unlock car and then if that dosent work try key in drivers door to lock and unlock or try starting the the car

OK, when I reinstalled battery, I put on positive and then negative. Are you saying that I should reconnect battery, then turn key in door (lock) or try to start car to shut off the horn?

correct

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
OK, I will try