Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I have GX470 2008 the steering wheel is locked and ignition…

Customer Question
I have GX470 2008...

I have GX470 2008 the steering wheel is locked and ignition would not turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?

Yes, Tried to wiggle L and R to no avail

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Lexus?

GX 470

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tied blowing some graphite dry lube into it and thats pretty much it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car was driving fine the night before and in the morning is a different story...won't start

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Lexus
3/6/2018
Lexus Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 4 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

do we have a good battery and checked for 12 volts and holding ?

is the wheels sitting straight or on angle ? have you tried turning the wheel left or right ,put pressure on it while turning switch ?

any issues with turning ignition key prior to this ?

do you have built in key fob in key ? is it still working , one or 2 keys u have ?

lets start here and we go from there

Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

everything checks out. The car has no issue prior to this incident. I was driving it fine the night before...it only happened the following morning...

have you tried turning the wheel while turning the key AT SAME TIME

does key go in and out easy BUT JUST WANT TURN ?

DOES INTERIOR LIGHT COMES ON WHEN DOOR OPENED ?

The red car shows up in the dashboard

i do not think it is recognizing your key or we have ignition switch failure .electrical part of switch

but when I insert the key, the red car disappear

if it does that is good on security , if it does not we have security issue ?

I was really surprise because as I said the night before everything was fine... and thats the reason why the car is inside the garage

click on link to view pdf file on fuse box location and label

can you check fuses and have test light ?

FUSE # 22 A 7.5 AMP FUSE LABELED ( ACC )

SCROLL DOWN THE FILE ,IT SHOWS YOU FUSE BOX LOCATION AND FUSE LOCATION ,TAKE COVER OFF

LET ME KNOW

ok

FUSE #14 ALSO A 10 AMP FUSE

NOW IN THE UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX ,CHECK

#30 AM2 , A 30 AMP

#28 ECU-B2 A 10 AMP

#4 ST2 A 7.5 AMP

THERE IS RELAY LABELED IG RELAY ,CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW PULL IT OFF,N WAIT 60 SECS AND REINSERT AND RETRY

Please Let Me Know what you come up with

Thank You
Chad Farhat

everything check outs...no burnt out fuse

Well at this time since everything is checking out

then You will need a Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Modules needed and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you get the Faults Read ,post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it & we be Accurate