Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Repair procedures for valve cover gaskets, spark plug

bushings and labor hours...
repair procedures for valve cover gaskets, spark plug bushings and labor hours
2/26/2018
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Gathering the info standby.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you

The book time is 2.6 hours plus .2 for the seal grommets in the valve covers. I wouldn't do this job for less than 3 1/2.

Click this link and save the illustration. The only directions or possibly directions would be as if you're doing a valve clearance adjust the explains to take the valve covers off. The front covers or the timing cover/timing belt may or may not have to be removed depending on how much clearance you need. Make sure you save a copy of the link it will time out. Please do not forget to rate the assistance I provided you today at three or higher and five would be awesome. If you need additional information feel free to reply and I will get back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's what blows my mind is book time on it! If I come across issues I can always add on time

Labor guides are just that guides. Depends on how much you are willing to give up!!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
trying to login through medifire???

The link timed out try this link it will also time out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you PDF me what you have in mediafire? I am having issues opening it up.

The link times out. Are you on line now to down load the file?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Can you email me the files? *********

I'll be home in about 15 minutes I'll send the file. Let me know when you get it I'll be home in about 15 minutes I'll send the file let me know when you get it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I surely will...also any tricks when installing the new tube seals? I use grease so they can slide in better but they tend to slightly angle and dig into the seal. I believe then the seal is basically useless because when I try to reuse it they practically slide in and out without trying to much.
Sorry for the delay got a flat tire coming home first time in about 20 years then too many projects and got me tied up I will be sending the email right now and as far as tricks on getting the seals in I usually spray the seal on the outside with a little carb clean and makes them real slippery for a short period of time then dries and they won't come out.
After you review the information if you need anything else let me know. Otherwise if you've not done so please do not forget to rate the assistance I provided to you today at 3 or higher and 5 would be awesome thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a tool to install these spark plug tube seals? I grease up the seals and the holes in the valve covers where they go. I take a 1 1/4" socket and tap the seals in with a hammer. For the life of me they won't go in flush and will always slightly tear. Once the very outer edge tears I can use my fingers and push them in and out. I'm almost positive there should be zero play. I believe the grease is causing more harm than good.

I never use grease. It will always make the seals slip in and out. Like I mentioned previously I spray the valve cover with carb clean then I spray the outside edge of the seal with carb clean and then use seal installers with different diameters and pick one that's the exact diameter of the outer metal portion of the seal and simply drive it into the valve cover. The carb clean is really slippery on the rubber and evaporates very quickly and the seals will not come out. Some of those valve covers have little tabs that you bend over to keep them in place also. I don't remember in that specific year.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Never thought carb cleaner would be slippery....I'll give it a try.....is it normal for alittle bit of the rubber to shred off when pressing in? Or should that not be happening at all?

You shouldn't have any rubber peeling off the outer edge of these make sure the aluminum edges aren't messed up on the valve covers. Are these Toyota seals or fell pro?

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I bought them from Lexus that are mighty pricey. At least i get 25 off list. Looks like I'll be ordering more. Are the felpro ones more forgiving or better quality?

No the Fel-Pro ones are worse I don't like their quality at all.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any recommendations on carb cleaner? No more oiler than the other?

No all about the same. I like the castle dragon fire.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician