Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

I have a 1999 Lexus IS 200 and it makes a knocking noise…

Customer Question
I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 Lexus IS 200 and it makes a knocking noise when I turn off the engine that the only time it makes that’s noise

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I’ve been noticing it for a couple of months now but I haven’t really investigated it but when I’m in inside the car it sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side of the motor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your IS 200t yourself? What have you tried so far?

When I first heard it I thought it was low on oil or something but it was fine I gotta the oil changed and filter but the noise continues but only when I shut the engine it doesn’t knock any other time

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Lexus
1/14/2018
Lexus Mechanic: Chris (aka - Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Is this a single knock or multiple ones?

Never a noise is heard when starting or driving like this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s a couple and no it only does it when turning off the engine everything else is fine drives fine no warning lights on the dash comes on or anything

This is a tough one to figure out. My best guess is this is going to be a noise from the serpentine belt tensioner possibly going bad and when the engine is shut off and the belt is slowing down this makes the belt tensioner flop and make this noise. Can you open the hood and duplicate this while watching this area.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician