Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I have a 1998 Lexus LS400. Intermittently the VSC light off…

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 Lexus LS400. Intermittently the VSC light off light comes on. When it does I have a complete loss of power to the vehicle. I have to mash the Excelerator all the way to the floor just to get the car to move. It has been all 11 months so

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you happen to know the code? Have you tried to reset the computer?

The check engine light has not come on. I have not put my scan tool on it yet. It has been 11 months since the last time this happened. It only seems to happen when it’s cold.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '98 Lexus?

LS400

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is my father’s car. Haven’t really tried anything yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

As I said it happened 11 months ago and then went away so I didn’t bother.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Lexus
1/13/2018
Lexus Mechanic: Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert replied 7 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. When the VSC activates, this means that the skid control is detecting some type of wheel spin. When this happens, power is cut and the ABS takes over to control the detected wheel spin or skid condition (that causes the VSC light to come on and activate). What you most likely have is something amiss in one of the 4 wheel speed sensors. This would not be uncommon for a 1998 vehicle. The correction, however, requires some skills in diagnosing this. It would be advantageous to have a scan tool that can monitor the actual RPM of the wheel speed sensors. This will isolate which wheel or wheels are reading incorrectly. After that, removal and inspection of the wheel speed sensors and the part of the hub that the sensor "reads" needs to be visually inspected. More often than not, a faulty hub causes this. Speculation on replacement parts is ill advised until you are sure of what parts need replacing. A good diagnosis here is key. Without the scan tool, you would not be able to isolate which wheels does not match the others. This is where the diagnosis starts. The actual fix may be a sensor, a sensor wire connection, a hub replacement, or a combination of the above. If you are not skilled in this type of diagnosis, a technician with the correct scan tool would be highly recommended. If you have any questions, please reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks!