Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

Oil leak front of engine. Looking to bring in or assess with…

Customer Question
Oil leak front of...

Oil leak front of engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

No, looking to bring in or assess with new oil and engine on. Substantial less each run.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lexus?

Ls400, 1996

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, just trying to do sanity check on source of leak before bringing in. I am mechanical type but just smart enough to know ahead what is going on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Jus thought I'd ask about most likely leak areas for older ls400. Oil pans for example.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Lexus
1/7/2018
Lexus Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, there's a few possible spots it could be leaking from

1. Valve cover gaskets, may be leaking at the corners and dripping down

2. Crankshaft seal- you will see a lot of oil and dirt around the balancer/crank pulley and timing are if this is the case

3. Oil pan seal- here you'll see oil blown back under the engine

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting. Rating/accepting does not cost you extra but insures I am credited for my time and knowledge. Follow ups concerning the original question are always free even after rating/accepting. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I'm going to put some new card board below engine and fill above the low line wth oil and monitor the leak location. I will go below and on top to watch the leaking. Can I relay my findings later tonite for a response tomorrow? Thanks

Yes, I'll be here to reply tomorrow.

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician