Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

Won't shift into 4th/overdrive. replaced one bad knock

Customer Question
Won't shift into 4th/overdrive...

Won't shift into 4th/overdrive. replaced one bad knock sensor and other one tested fine. replaced harness to knock sensors. tested and cleaned OCV and filter below it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

No codes now but check engine light is on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lexus?

99 es300

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Knock sensors, ocv

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Transmission place said they need to go inside the transmission (don't think it is mechanical, think it is a sensor)

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Lexus
1/6/2018
Lexus Mechanic: Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert replied 1 month ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. In a Lexus vehicle, whenever the Check Engine light is on (for any reason), the Overdrive is prevented, by design, from occurring. If there are no codes present, and the light is on, it is possible that the scanner being used is not 100% compatible with this vehicle. I would recommend another scan with a different scanner that is 100% compatible. The Check engine light does come on when sensors are not working properly. The light will not come on if there is a mechanical fault (like a low trans fluid condition).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
have it rescanned?

That would be your next move. Some 'generic' scanners will not read all of the possible codes. Rectify the cause of the light coming on, the OD should work again.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert