Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

Same exact thing as customer described...no start....I saw a…

Customer Question
Same exact thing as...

Same exact thing as customer described...no start....I saw a TSB that claims the new starter button has to be purchased...I still need to jump the starter relay to see if it will crank https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-switch-push-start~89611-50011.html89611-50011

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

143k When I bought in Tampa...no problems starting temps were in the 70s 80s....Brand new battery from Costco....drove all the way to northern NJ left in driveway...got cold and now now start...it cranks but then stalls as the Tsb states

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lexus?

L-SB-0161-08 Rev1 November 11, 2008
Smart Key Intermittent No Crank/No Start
Service
Category Vehicle Interior
Section Theft Deterrent/Keyless Entry Market USA
Applicability 2007 ls 460

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried to change the smart start button with a used one from a 2013 ls 460....still the same..I tried to loosen and tighten the the battery...I tried to close the door and wait....after waiting for 2 to 3 hours it will crank up but then stalls as the TSB states Repair Procedure
NOTE
In the repair manuals the push start switch is referenced to as the “Power Switch” when installed
in Hybrid vehicles and the “Engine Switch” when installed in all other vehicles.
This TSIB details the replacement of the push start switch on vehicles equipped with Smart Key
with one of two specific concerns, both of which are intermittent issues that can occur only while
starting the engine.
• No crank and no start concern.
• Engine cranks, starts and then immediately stalls.
NOTE
Before considering replacement of the push start switch please verify the following conditions
are normal:
1. Vehicle battery is fully charged.
2. Key battery voltages are within specification.
3. No other repairs have been performed or parts replaced on the smart key system causing the
system to become completely inoperative.
4. The M.I.L. (Check Engine Light) is off with the engine running. If the M.I.L. is ON, repair and
clear any related codes before performing this TSIB.
Detailed removal and installation instructions of the engine / power switch including systems requiring
initialization are found in the Technical Information System (TIS), applicable Repair Manual:
2008 LS 600h:
• Engine/Hybrid System — Starting — “Power Switch: Removal and Installation”
2007 LS 460 & 460L:
• Engine/Hybrid System — Starting — “Engine Switch: Removal” and Installation”
2008 LS 460 & 460L:
• Engine/Hybrid System — Starting — “Engine Switch: Removal and Installation”
2007 GS 350:
2008 GS 350:
© 2009 Im trying to clear the DTC error codes but cannot use a normal obdII reader...says it cannot connect...even though it is connected to the OBD interface well

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Ummm seems to be weather related since I had no problems starting the ls 460 in Tampa over 10 times...Im at a point of trying to jump the relay as stated in the thread

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Lexus
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Added TSB . Looks like I have to order a new push button 89611-50011....However I did go to ebay and bought a new push button off of a 2013 ls 460....assuming that by 2013 the new button should work...but now I may have to go to lexuspartsnow and buy a 89611-50011 push button...but I want to make sure its not the button.The car will crank up occasionally once or even twice will not start... It chokes and dies...subsequent power off and power on cycles do produce any changes......Only when I wait at least 3 to 4 hours after locking the car is it able to crank at least once or twice... Like I stated in Florida last week there was never any problems starting the car...even on the drive up from tampa to Norther Nj I stopped 3 times I was able to restart the car...even as the temps started going into the 40s and 30s...when I got home it was about 35 degrees...parked the car in the front...and then started it fine again and drove into the drive way..that night the temps went into the low 30s...the next morning...I push button will light green and crank once or twice and then stopp. There were VSC codes a red warning light with driving wheel and an exclamation point.. I will upload the video of my experience.... I then change the old start button with one from ebay form a 2013 ls 460....still the same behaviour..
1/1/2018
Lexus Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

That is the push button you need from what I see on this here.It does sound like you need the new button.Usually, you can install it then lock and unlock the doors and it will work.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please the previous case as copied below on just answer...I found the starter relay in the fuse boxk] took it out, and jumped contact leads as stated below...the engine cranks every time I short the leads...buit up but does not start.. We can safely say the starter works fine....
What should be my next steps...from my earlier post the my cars vin number falls in line and applicable to the TSB that I uploaded about the new push start button 89611-50011 SWITCH, PUSH START Replaced by: 89611-50015 which I just ordered from Lexuspartsnow...It will arrive 1/4/2018.What should be my next steps...I will try to get a video of the car cranking up and then stalling...the puzzling thing is that I cannot successfully connect my obd II scanner to the cars interface...it keeps failing...In addition....why does the car no longer crank up after the initial try...it seems to need a "rest period" of a couple of hours to have it crank up a little....instead..if I turn off the car and turn it back on and press the button..it just does nothing...ArthurDoes the engine crank? Have you tested the battery/tried to jumpstart? If the engine doesn't crank are you hearing any noises? Rapid clicks or a single click? Need a little more detail here.Customer: Ls460. Has had dead battery for extended time (months)Now has good battery.Key fob IS recognized. Dash lights up with key present...and car recognizes that the key is not present if it is removed.Have checked ALL fuses in 2 fuse blocks under hood, 1 under passenger dash, 1 in trunk.Have pressed unlock button on Fob several times.Car is newly purchased. Has a history of theft recovery, but has been running since that recovery....just not since I took ownership.Have disconnected battery for 24 hours, reinstalled...and re attempted all above.None of the above actions have resulted in anything different.When car is unlocked, and brake pedal depressed....the push button start initiates the system check and the dash lights up, along with all accessories. There is NO sound such as starter clicking or other sounds associate with the push of the start button. A second push of the start button turns everything off ( as if it had been running and is now being shutoff).No change in symptoms.Please advise if this MUST be a dealer visit or if there is a reset process I can perform....and/or can we confirm/eliminate that this may be an engine immobilizer issue?How do we tell if the immobilizer has been activated?Customer: Engine does not crankCustomer: no clicks of any kind ( such as starter etc)Customer: Battery good. Same action with jump startsfe30 :
The start button lights up green when you press on the brake?Customer: YesCustomer: iive been reading message boards for days. If your answer is go to the dealer....I've heard that one already:)sfe30 :
The starter relay is in the big fuse box in the engine baysfe30 :
Its labeled ST and is on the small end of the box. Remove this and jump the 2 big pins in the box with a pair of needle nose or a large wire.sfe30 :
Full Size ImageCustomer: Will attempt. Start on or off? W/Driver in seat on brake or not?Customer: What should happen?sfe30 :
Everything off, just pop the hood and do it.sfe30 :
The engine should crankCustomer: 10-4sfe30 :
Easiest way to test the starter before going deeper.sfe30 :
I've done quite a few starters on these. Some times there will be a single click, and other times nothing at all.Customer: Ok, good to hear. Please give me a short time to perform this action..thanksCustomer: Nothing happening when jumping 2 large probes.Customer: Power probe on relay shows relay is apparantly working.Customer: Power probe to top large terminal shows hot. Bottom large terminal is dead/no continuitysfe30 :
You used a solid heavy duty wire or needle nose pliers to jumper?sfe30 :
The starter is most likely dead. Could be the signal wire that goes from the junction box to the starter but not likely. You'll have to access the starter either way to test the signal wire. At that point you could just bench test the starter. Like i said before I've replaced a bunch of them so the starter is most likely the problem.Customer: Used a 10 gauge solid core wire with jump tabs...plugged directly into the female clips in the fuse block. We will pull the intake to test/work/replace starter if you feel confident that's the issue. Can you describe/provide diagram for the signal wire that you discussed?Customer: Also do you feel any issue related to the fob/security/immobilizer is to be ruled out at this point?sfe30 :
Jumping the relay bypasses all security. The starter is under the passenger exhaustmanifold. The signal wire plugs into the starter and there should be voltage therewhen starting.Customer: Isn't this starter beneath the intake?Customer:
its a 2008 ls460sfe30 :
No. That is only with the 400 and 430Customer: Ah ok we see the starter. Boy you just earned your $ there!! We wer

That dialogue was for a bad starter.If you jump the leads and your starter engages and cranks over the engine it is not the starter at fault on your model.But if the push button has failed on your model and it does need the newly updated push button this will cause this issue.The starter will engage when jumped but it will not start and stay running due to the push button not fully turning on the ignition system.I suspect you do need the push button to resolve the issue on your model as it sounds to be a different fault then the other customer's fault you posted above.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Replaced the Start button with TSB recommended and it does the exact same thing...Arthur

Have you had the fault codes re checked at all to see what codes are setting in all computers in your model?

Pete, Technician