Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Brake pedal feels soft sometimes. Stumped as to what it can…

Customer Question
Brake pedal feels soft sometimes...
Brake pedal feels soft sometimes. Stumped as to what it can be on a 2008 yaris
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Lexus
Car has no abs, no leaks, checked rubber hoses. Had different master cylinders on. Original Master cylinder holds pressure.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/28/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Robert, UK Qualified Car Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Mechanic

Hi..there..

Sounds like you either have air getting in..or you still have air trapped somewhere..if the master is good..have you tried pressure bleeding the system..you can get these ezi bleed kits or mityvac kit to help pull the fluid through and hopefully thr trapped air..i asume you have flushed the brake fluid out..and replaced it with new fluid...

fluid is only like 1 month old. Used a tester and it says less than 1% moisture. I bled it from the two lines connecting the master cylinder. Never had a problem before doing that on this car, and problem only started to appear more recently. Some people say this car naturally has a somewhat spongy pedal. If it was air in the system wouldnt it always feel the same?

Normally with any master cylinder you need to manually bleed it before installing to the brake booster.so you mount it in a vice so it level..and then fill the reservior up.push on the piston whilst keeping both fingers over the outlet holes until air is expelled ..let piston go then push in again..you only need to this 3-4 times and thats it bled..then fit to the car..fit you brake liones then start from the furthest away bleeder and work your way in until you come to the closest bleeder....Yaris brakes have never been the best in all honest..unless you willing to throw stainless braided lines to it in place of the rubber hoses..which might help to response a bit..but i still think pressure bleeding would be one thing to try..to ensure the system is 100% free of air..

When I installed the new original one, I didn't bench bleed it but only installed it and bleed it at the two lines. After a few weeks I started feeling some brake fade.