Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

Misfire on cyl 2and3 replaced ign ccoils 1999 lexus rx300…

Customer Question
Misfire on cyl 2and3...

Misfire on cyl 2and3 replaced ign ccoils 1999 lexus rx300 still have misfire

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?

200,000random

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 Lexus?

Rx300

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes replaced ign coil cyl 2 and3

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Lexus
12/28/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Did you replace the spark plugs on the vehicle, also?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just try to tell me on line

Thank you for that. The issue that you are having could also be cause by fault injectors. Although, before replacing anything else, you need to confirm and see whether the vehicle is getting spark and fuel to those cylinders. To test for spark, it is best to use an in-line spark tester. These are inexpensive and can be purchased from your local auto part store.

To test to see if the injectors are firing, you can use a noid light. These, too, can be purchased from the auto part store.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if i am getting a spark then what

Here I am attaching spark testing information. If you are getting spark, then this means that you will need to check to see if the cylinders are receiving fuel. Faulty injector will cause a misfire just as the plugs and coils will.

Here, I am attaching testing information for the injectors to ensure that they are functioning.

If you have spark and fuel, then you will need to have a leak down test done on the cylinders. This will test for faults in the motor itself that will cause this. If all of these things check out, then you will more than likely end up replacing the control module. That would be the most probable cause.

Here, I am attaching vehicle specific trouble shooting information for this issue, to help you determine the cause.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Also, if you haven't done so already, the vehicle needs to be scanned for codes. The codes received will indicate the area of concern if it is a circuit issue.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please, do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician