Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I've been told that the error code read on our 1999 lexus…

Customer Question
I've been told that...

I've been told that the error code read on our 1999 lexus rx300 is P1354. They said that the Gear Assembly part # 13050-20011, valve assembly part# ***** gasket part#11213-OA010, and gasket part# ***** need to be replaced. They replaced the timing belt approximately seven months ago and it's continued to have problems. They quoted me $1,150 + tax to do the work. Could this be related to the timing belt at all? They had to adjust it several times bc it kept squealing, etc.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

Yes the timing belt was replaced so it is practically new.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your IS yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's in the shop. Haven't tried anything for this. They had it last week for a check engine light and said it was the O2 sensor. The car has over 200k miles on it. I couldn't fix it myself if I wanted to, but I am not sure if it is a fair price for that work either.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it. Thanks so much!

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Lexus
12/21/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. The issue that you are having, judging by the parts that are being replaced, this issue is a timing issue, but this has to do with the timing components being faulty. The squealing was like caused by a damaged timing gear. Which means that they have to remove the valve covers(this explains the two valve cover gaskets. The variable valve timing solenoid was likely found to be faulty also, so time is why they included this issue. Give me just a moment, please, for pricing information for you.

Does this price include part?

Here, is the part and labor information for the component that you have requested. The labor pricing is listed in hours and depends on the hourly rate of the shop. The vvt solenoid has no listing. Although, the hours to do will be close to one, and the price maybe around $70.

If the price that was given to you includes the parts also, then you a fine. The price is fair.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please, do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.