Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Just wanted to know what kind of awd system my 2005 rx 300…

Customer Question
Just wanted to know...

Just wanted to know what kind of awd system my 2005 rx 300 uses

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Lexus RX 300. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No. thank you. its an excellent car 12 yrs no problems

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Lexus
12/22/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert replied 7 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The AWD system on this vehicle is as follows: This vehicle is predominately a 'front wheel drive' vehicle. When the front wheels spin, the transfer unit attached to the transaxle activates and sends power to the rear wheels to regain traction. In the sense of true 4WD, like a Jeep, the Lexus AWD system is 100% different. In a Jeep, power is sent equally to the front and rear drive axles at all times thru a chain driven unit (which transmist the power to the front and rear) mounted on the rear of the transmission. In your vehicle, the power is sent to the rear only when the front wheels break traction (like spinning on ice or snow).