Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

2017 Lexus GX 460 - Check Engine Light TRAC off and car

Customer Question
2017 Lexus GX 460...

2017 Lexus GX 460 - Check Engine Light TRAC off and car shaking badly

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Check engine light stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GX 460 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not tried anything. Only has 10000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Lexus
12/11/2017
Lexus Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

have you scanned for codes?

No this just happened about 30 minutes ago. It is my wife's car and she went to pick up food. Drove it around the corner the light came in and the car was shaking really bad. Any idea what would cause the car to shake.

sounds like a ignition coil failed i would have the codes pulled to verify

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

She does not want to drive it since it shakes so bad. I guess I will call the dealer tomorrow

yea sounds like a ignition coil but a scan tool is the only way to verify

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy