Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Have 99 lexus ls 400. At times, I turn ignition key starter…

Customer Question
Have 99 lexus ls...

Have 99 lexus ls 400. At times, I turn ignition key starter won't kick in. Turn to off and try again still nothing, Try again and she starts right up. Batt new. Starter. Checked Lexus forum and many describe same problem and say the solenoid contacts get pitted.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes, steering wheel not locked Have two almost new keys no damage

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LS 400 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have appointment repair shop tomorrow. It's been doing what i described for many months.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is no clicking sound such as in the case of missing or damaged starter gear teeth.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Lexus
12/6/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert replied 8 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds to me like you have a faulty starter solenoid on the starter motor. Additional testing would be needed, but, this is a common issue with these cars as of late. I would recommend the starter solenoid and starter contacts be visually examined at your shop. Replace if they are found to be worn. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my assistance on your Lexus request. Thanks!