Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

2000 Lexus ES300 approx 130K. Threw a P1354 code along with…

Customer Question
2000 Lexus ES300 approx...

2000 Lexus ES300 approx 130K. Threw a P1354 code along with associated misfires..P0300, P0302, P0304, P0306, Checked on line for info, found youtube video and followed instructions....cleaned both OCV solenoid vlalves. Verified functionality by appyling 12 volts. Put back in. Ran great that night. Following day, back running rough - and feels as if tranny is jolting. Threw new codes....same ones as previous with an addition of P0330. Wondering if the VVT is the culprit?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?

I have a scan tool...actron

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GS300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Been trying to do it myself. Pulled both OCV valves, and cleaned them and verified functionality by applying 12V to them. they seemed to work and react fine. Put both them back in and car ran great for one night. Next day, not so good. Threw all the codes back at me.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Lexus
11/27/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Are you getting any rattling sound when first starting in the morning?

No that new code is for the knock sensor BANK 2

Sounds pretty darn normal at cold start. (Chicago area).
I am going to be putting in long hours this week. So my responses will be late in the evening if at all. This is my father-in-law's car. He is incapacitated. I am willing to put some effort into it for the purposes of a third car, but I will probably draw the line after $300. My instinct is to replace both OCV valves and clean the respective filters. I know I can do that myself. Not sure about knock sensor. I know the VVT gear/sprocket is probably out of my league.

Would you like me to offer one of our services to discuss this over the phone or more Q& A time? As you are almost there to solving and correcting this.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

I would like some information. Maybe confirmation that I am going in the right direction? Will the replacement of the OCV valves be superior to cleaning them? Or is it the filter that is the issue, and I should just clean the valves and the filter (as opposed to just the valves, like the last time).
Is the knock sensor bank 2 code a concern? Or is it something the car throws when the OCVs are acting up?

I would give it a clean one more time replace the filter and do an engine oil flush a well. They have small orifices that don't take much to clog up so cleaning the engine out may help that aspect as well. then if they act up again replace them. This is a lot easier then ifit were vvt drums.