Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Is there a recognised 12v battery upgrade for a 2006 RX400H,

Customer Question
Hi. Is there a...

Hi. Is there a recognised 12v battery upgrade for a 2006 RX400H, as I have the often reported problem with the standard battery being seemingly under sized for it's required duties.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

The battery seems fine but will not hold the charge if left standing for a 2 week period, it recharges o.k. either on or off the car, it just does not seem to be man enough , I have 2 x batteries that I interchange ( both less than 1 year old ) from Lexus

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Lexus?

RX400H

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't think there is a problem with the car just the capacity of the small standard battery, I have read that this is a common problem ( Lexus now fit a more standard battery to it's later models )

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you, ***** ***** there is a poss. upgrade battery available.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Lexus
11/25/2017
Lexus Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You could purchase a higher cold cranking amp version of the same series battery if you wanted to upgrade, but that's not going to help your issue.

If the battery dies while the vehicle is at rest yet the battery load tests good then there is a component drawing current when it should not be. Any component which receives a direct battery feed can cause a draw. The problem could literally be dozens of things and it will require some testing to determine the cause. It could be a light coming on or staying on (such as the glovebox light), a module staying awake, an aftermarket radio or amplifier, and the alternator can fail and cause a draw.

What needs to be done is an ignition off draw test. An ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post. If the draw exceeds 40mA then there is cause for concern. At that point fuses would either be removed one at a time or voltage drop across fuses checked to see what circuit current is flowing on, and then components on that circuit can be concentrated on.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.