Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

The rear lift gate door will not shut. it is open half way

The rear lift gate door...
The rear lift gate door will not shut. it is open half way and will not shut manually, will not shut with the key or with the push button on the lift gate.
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: no, the car will unlock with the key fab. Could it be that a fuse in out?
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: Lexus(###) ###-####JA: Are you fixing your 330 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and i do not know what to do
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
11/22/2017
Daniel Lee
Daniel Lee, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am currently reviewing your question. Is this an 2006 RX330? Is there any noise when you press the close button?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
no it does not make any noise at all. It is as if the electronic portion may be "turned off"
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Is there a fuse I can check? and if so, where is it located?

Yes, there should be a fuse for the power back door. Yes you can check it. However, I work at a Toyota/Lexus dealer and I can tell you that it's most likely not going to be the fuse. We replace these back door motors very very often. It is most likely your problem. Give me a minute to research your fuse location and provide you with a document.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
ok - just hoping that it is a fuse and an easier fix.

Well, to be sure make sure that your Power back door cancel switch isn't turned on. I'm sure you've checked that already. The fuse is Labeled PBD and is an 30A fuse.

It is located in your Engine room fuse box

You can visually check the fuse to make sure there's no break, a better way is to use a DVOM set to reading ohms and go across the fuse (after removing it of course). You can manually close the hatch by pushing down on the hatch hard enough to overcome the motor resistance.

Hope its just a fuse, or you accidently knocked the cancel switch on. If not, the motor is fairly expensive and require some degree of mechanical ability to install I would recommend it be left to a professional.

It looks like your cancel switch may be in your glove box

Please accept my answer if satisfied and don't forget to give me a good rating with the stars on top as my compensation depends on it. Thank you for using just answer!

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Ok, can you tell me where the cancel switch is?

It looks like its in your glove box or in that general vicinity.

I can't remember if its called power back door main switch or power back door cancel switch. But its something to that effect. Good luck.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
ok-thank you for your help

You're very welcome

Daniel Lee
Daniel Lee, ASE Certified Technician
Daniel Lee
Daniel Lee
Daniel Lee, ASE Certified Technician