Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

I have an 04 SC430 and a few weeks ago started to feel side

to side inputs into the...
I have an 04 SC430 and a few weeks ago started to feel side to side inputs into the steering wheel. This occurred at any speed but more pronounced at higher speeds. The vehicle was very Squirrelly and all over the road. I had the steering rack, and steering pump replaced this week and had the vehicle re-aligned. The problem is a little better but still is all over the road. Does the vehicle needed to be hooked up to a computer and neutralized or system reset? Is there another component from another system which could be causing the issue? Thanks so much!
11/21/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Yes there needs to be a reset, its called a zero point reset on the steering system, did the repair shop mention they did this after doing the part replacement ?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
No but I will ask when I take the care back this afternoon.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
is there a special computer or program needed for this reset?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Is that a function of the ECU? Thanks

Its actually a function if the abs/vsc system, and most shops should be able to do it with their shop scanner, any dealer could do it

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Based on my original description of the problem is there anything else that could be checked?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Really don’t know what else to replace.

There could be something going on with the power steering sensor or the main ecu unit, both of these can be checked out with the scanner to determine if something is going on in the system, I would also ask them if they replaced the senors or transferred them over

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Are the sensors part of one of the components that was replaced?

depends on what they replaced them with, a lot of the refurb does not come with new sensors and they need to be transferred

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I am getting in the car now and heading to my mechanic. If it is OK if he has any questions I will be back online with you. Thanks so much for your help so far.

sure thing! good luck with everything!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician