Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

06 toyota highlander v6 220k miles. Did a timing belt with…

Customer Question
06 toyota highlander v6 220k...
06 toyota highlander v6 220k miles. Did a timing belt with new pulleys and tensioners and some new gaskets under the intake. After restart idled perfect and smooth for 15 min. Found a vacuum line disconnected and reconnected. Shortly after engine died. On restart rear valve cover under intake sounded like a can of marbles. Rechecked timing belt and marks and belt lines are lined up dead on. Restart again cold and instant can of marbles sound that eventually turned into steady loud ticking. Test drive and noise goes away on deceleration. Sometimes loud and sometimes goes away when accelerating. Car died again when idling and can of marbles can back for a few min on restart but turns into steady loud ticking.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Lexus
11/21/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert replied 5 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Based on your explanation of the issue, I believe you have a faulty Variable Valve Timing control assembly. This can be checked with a Toyota compatible scan tool. If the diagnosis proves the control assembly is bad, the camshaft that has the control assembly on it needs to be removed from the cylinder head. This is not an easy job and not recommended if you have never replaced a controller assembly before.

If you have any questions, please reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.

Is that a common failure? Car ran fine and new timing belt killed it? I have autoenginuity laptop based scan tool, but would probably have to pay for the upgraded toyota coverage. I have lots of experience with engine building but have never replaced a vvt controller. Do you have links for the repair? Thanks

Variable valve timing controllers are good one day and faulty the next. There is not warning. What happens is they stick in the 'advanced' position (This is what gives you the marbles noise).

Do you have a link to the actual repair? Is there a solenoid bolted to the head somewhere that just needs to be replaced?

The controller is a mechanical gear that moves under oil pressure form the engine. The computer opens a solenoid to allow the oil pressure to move the gear. This is where the diagnosis with the scan tool is necessary. It may just be an controller oil control valve issue, but there is not way to be sure without diagnosis.

The controller assembly is bolted to the camshaft.

I believe I saw it under the valve cover. Would a faulty solenoid instantly trigger an engine light? Currently no codes or anything pending.

A faulty controller is not monitored by the computer, it is a mechanical device.

A bad solenoid should trigger the light

But a LEAKING solenoid will not.

Do you have the repair guide to replacing the vvt cam gear?

No. I do not have this. What I would recommend is you have the oil control valves checked before anything else.

If the diagnosis says to replace the vvt cam gear do I just remove the cam shaft, unbolt the cam gear and replace? I see after market units available that look like a simple bolt on.
I will rate as soon as I get the diagnosis to confirm. Is there instructions in the service manual to replace the gear? Do you have any experience you can share changing them?
Lexus Mechanic: Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert replied 4 months ago

You would do well to have the service manual to use for this procedure. If you realign the camshaft wrong, you will bend the valves.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert