Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I lost the only key to my 2000 Lexus RX 300 and am

Customer Question
I lost the only...

I lost the only key to my 2000 Lexus RX 300 and am desperately trying to find a cheaper alternative than replacing the ecu which the dealer is quoting my about $1400. Any suggestions? I have talked to several locksmith and they claim they cannot reflash the computer and make a master key.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

No.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RX 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything other than contacting the dealer and two locksmiths.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Lexus
11/21/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Greg, Import tech replied 7 months ago
Greg
Greg, Import tech
You need to find a good locksmith that has the diagnostic tool to reprogram the system , a good locksmith can recut a key from the drivers door lock then adjust a cut for the ignition. Ones the key is working and turns the ignition switch it then can be reprogrammed to the system .
There is no need to replace the ECU and Immo to rectify this unfortunate problem.Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me anytime. Even after accepting you can get back to me without any extra cost.Rgds Greg