Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I have a 1998 Lexus. Ls400 with 136000 miles. Can a mechanic…

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 Lexus

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '98 Lexus?

Ls400 with 136000 miles. Can a mechanic tell if the timing belt has been changed?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

I don't know if it was changed. Wouldn't this have been done at 90000?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I want to have it serviced but a timing belt is very expensive, How can I know if it's needed?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I know it was serviced in 2005 around the 90000 mile mark but those records are not available

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Lexus
11/16/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Ron Z., - Lexus Tech - replied 8 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

If there are no service record available, then the only way to know if the timing belt has been changed would be to remove one of the plastic belt covers and directly inspect the condition of the belt looking for any signs of wear. To access the belt for inspection will take roughly an hour of labor. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.