George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15+ years ASE Master w/L1 Drivability certification
13574682

HOW MANY CATALYTIC CONVERTERS ARE THERE IN LEXUS RX350 (YEAR

Customer Question

HOW MANY CATALYTIC CONVERTERS ARE THERE IN LEXUS RX350 (YEAR 2007) .THE COMPUTER READINGS INDICATED 420 & 430 ( BANK 1 AND BANK 2)THE MECHANIC SAID, THE CC ARE BAD AND NEED TO BE REPLACED. IS THIS TRUE?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help,

There are two converters that are monitored by the computer and usually those codes mean replacement is necessary. The cats are designed to last at least 8 years or 80,000 miles.

Several checks need to be done before replacing the cats, any intake vacuum leaks, ignition misfires or low coolant issues need to be corrected if present. The rear oxygen sensors also need to be replaced with the cats.

It is advised to use Toyota parts only as the aftermarket ones may not play nice with the computer and you may have a repeat of the codes.

Please let me know what questions you have about this

Thanks