Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

My tail light on 1999 Lexus rx300 is not working but all the…

Customer Question
My tail light on...

My tail light on 1999 Lexus rx300 is not working but all the other lights are, the lamp failure module is burnt and I want to bypass it to run the light

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

I replaced it before and it is burnt out again

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your IS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Rx300, yes myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If it guaranteed that it will work Is

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Lexus
11/13/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Unplug sensor and jump green wire to green/orange wire which should bypass it. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

I replaced the lamp failure and now it’s burnt again and I’m sick and tired of it, can I bypass that to make my tail light work

I’ll try it tomorrow morning but would that bypass it and should I leave the sensor attached just bypass those wires

You can completely unplug sensor. If that causes fuse to blow you will want to check green/orange wire that goes to bulbs for shorts or for bulb socket itself shorting out. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

how many wires am I joining together ?

Just 2, the green wire to the green/orange wire. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks again and please do not forget to rate answer.

Thanks I’ll try tomorrow since it’s almost 11pm now
Thanks I’ll try tomorrow since it’s almosy 11pm now

Sounds good, I'll be here if you need me. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I see a green/orange...top link 3rd wire down. Green wire with a orange stripe.

Green yellow, green white, green red

You named all of them other then the green/orange which is fairly clear in picture, here is me drawing a arrow to it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuzdo0nwvzgrlvo/go.PNG?dl=0​

If any other lights stop working then you are going to have to connect those two wires with sensor still plugged in by splicing into them.

Ok thanks I’ll try, just those 2 and leave the sensor attached

Sounds good, let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Ok thanks

No problem, please do not forget to rate answer if lights work. Thanks

Ok will do

Thanks.

by joining those wires, what does it do? Should I leave the lamp failure sensor attached or should I rewire the rest of the wires, replace fuse and light bulbs

It bypasses the light failure sensor for the tail lights, if it works then I'd just leave it alone.

Did it work?

I attached them, I have to buy a fuse and a bulb

Ah, I'll talk to you tomorrow then. Thanks .

It worked, question I test drive the car and the light works and why is the brake pedal at times is deep and feels like not stopping or slow, almost feels like pressing the brake and it’s deep and takes a while to stop and sometimes feels like it’s not going to stop.

This wouldn't effect the brake pedal so it sounds like something else is going on. I'm really not sure what is going on with that, I'd inspect brake pads and then maybe try to bleed the system. Let me know if yo have questions, please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

I will rate your great assistance, how do I bleed it? Brakes were change last year

You will need a assistant, one person pumps brakes other person cracks open bleeder while person is holding down pedal. Then retighten bleeder, pump brakes again and repeat procedure a few times then move to the next wheel. I'm sure you can find some youtube videos explaining it which probably would be a good idea before trying it yourself. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Now there’s a light that lights up on the dash if I step on the brake, looks like orange and tail light indicator when I step on brakes

This is probably because the light sensor is bypassed so it is a warning that sensor has failed

I needed to see where we cut the wires and bypass the resistor (cutting it) any idea

I'm not sure what you are asking.

I read that you can locate the wires we cut and find the resistor that sends the fail signal and cut the contact

If you already cut the wires I'm not sure why you would be having a hard time locating them?

What could be the problem is now my tail light is out again?
Lexus Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** your tail lights are not working again I would inspect the splice connection that you made to bypass the bulb failure module. It sounds like you may have a bad connection at the splice or you have blown the tail light fuse.

Let me know what you find out.

Marty

Tail light is not blown, I’ll check the splice tomorrow morning, I’ll let you know
I checked everything and the wire that I joined together are fine, fuse and bulbs and still no light

Ok, use a test light or a voltmeter to check for 12V at the splice. Let me know what you find.

Now when I turn either left or right signal, the signal flashes both lights like a hazard signal
Lexus Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago

Sounds like you have your hands full with electrical gremlins. I'm going to have to opt out as I just do not have the time to spend troubleshooting this with you right now. Maybe one of the other experts can help.

Good luck with it.

Marty

Marty
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician