Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

2005 Lexus RX330, ABS, VSC, Brake lights on, tire pressure…

2005 Lexus RX330, ABS, VSC...
2005 Lexus RX330, ABS, VSC, Brake lights on, tire pressure light flashing???
10/14/2017
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The ABS/VSC/Brake lights coming on indicate a problem in the ABS system; most likely due to a low brake fluid condition in the master cylinder or a faulty wheel speed sensor. A scan of the ABS system would confirm this, or identify the actual issue. The flashing tire pressure light indicates a problem with one of the tire pressure sensor mounted inside the road wheels. A scan would also confirm this, but the scanner needs to be 100% Lexus compatible; not all scanners can read ABS and tire sensor data. If you have any questions, please reply. Please do take a moment to confirm that this system has transmitted my input to you today; thanks!

I really don’t think I have all these individual problems, thought there might be a common issue causing the lights to come on at the same time. Tons of threads on the internet about this issue, was looking for an experts opinion.

The tire light flashing is not part of the ABS system. The above listed causes (low fluid/faulty wheel speed sensor) are the most common causes of this condition. We have observed quite a few times in the shop that the tone ring (the unit that the speed sensor 'reads" is cracked. This causes a miscount of the actual RPM data. This occurs most at the passenger side rear wheel.

The tire light flashes because the tire pressure sensor is not transmitting properly. Determining which sensor is why you need the scan tool. ABS issues on these vehicles are common. I am hesitant to offer you guesses as I cannot diagnose the situation in person. I am basing my assistance on experience in the shop, not internet threads. Thanks.

I will check for codes first, all these lights came on at the same time.

Very good. Advise of the codes and we can proceed from there.

Thanks

You are very welcome.

Codes C1223 and C1249. All warning light that were previously on mentioned above have went out for now.

You have a faulty brake light switch.

Could I please get the repair manual instructions To replace

The brake light switch is above the brake pedal. Unplug the switch wire connector, disengage the switch and remove it. This is a very easy task; the only issue is you have to be upside down in the driver side footwell to see the switch.

No adjustment on new switch needed?

It should clip into place.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Switched replaced, light came back on.

Please recheck the codes

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert