Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

How does it take for a brake fluid leak to appear?

Customer Question
How long does it take...
How long does it take for a brake fluid leak to appear?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Lexus
10/9/2017
Lexus Mechanic: 3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
3pac2222
3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician

hi , you should see this right away , but sometimes the fluid can eak internal in the master cylinder and this you cannot see .

I actually replaced my master cylinder last week. One of the nuts connecting to the master cylinder was stripped so I cut the end of the flare off and made another double flare. It leaked until I cranked down on it hard. I disconnected and reconnected it a few times, and check it many times a day. I didnt see anything, but when I went out early in the morning it was a little moist under the nut I changed, but it didnt smell like brake fluid. Could it be something else?

it could be just clean it up and check it again in a day

I remember when I first made the flare, the leak wasnt really noticeable until I had the car running with the booster on, pedal to the floor, and taking it on and off a few times and cranking it fixed it.

that is normal I have the same problems this is because the booster built up more pressure

I actually wedged a large bar between the seat and pedal many times with the car on and could see no leaks. In your experience can a flare with a problem take days to even show a very minor leak?

it normally leak right away

plus your not going

to be pushing down on the pedal as hard as you can when driving so I think your good

3pac2222
3pac2222
3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician