Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I have a bad ecm. Wondering if any options other than

Customer Question
I have a bad...

I have a bad ecm. Wondering if any options other than dealer

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lexus?

2003 is300

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's at mechanic. Says cylinders 2&6 are not firing. He says they hardwired it back to the ecm and not getting anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

He can't replace ecm

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Lexus
I think it is cyliders 2& 5. they checked the coils and are not getting anything into them.
If I have to go to the dealer, do they charge for diagnostics? Or, would the parts and replacement be the only charges?
10/3/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

If you go to the dealer they are going to want to recheck his diagnostics before they replace any parts. If you are sure his diagnostics have been done correctly then you can replace the ECM, are you looking for a source to purchase a new ECM?

I have the understanding that the ecm can only be preplaced at a dealer due to the transponder
My mechanic said he would replace it, but he can't program it.
I have found a few listing online for new ecm's, but the are near the dealer price of $1000. If you know anything significantly cheaper, I'm interested, but I've done a fair bit of research

There are sources that can rebuild and or replace as well as program the replacement ECM t besides the dealer. You will need to contact them along with your vin number and the can supply you with a replacement programmed and ready to go . I have enclosed a link below for a good source of having this done if you wish to avoid the dealer. Once you have the new unit it should come plug and play and he can install it for you. Give this source a call and see if they can do this for you for less money.

https://autocomputersdiscounted.com/control-module-specializations/lexus/?gclid=CjwKCAjw6szOBRAFEiwAwzixBcZmgDw0r1gKimotdLorjphLxLA6m0jQV5Ee9mF9WR6Ox5Iyo8PeGhoCzSoQAvD_BwE

I've called those services. Only the 2001 ECM can be repaired, is what they've told me

Well unfortunately if that is the case then that leaves you with the dealer, the replacement will need to be programmed and if there is no other source then that only leaves the dealer.

That's what I've been told. Thanks

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.