Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Brake fluid level goes up and down. No line caliper or wheel…

Customer Question
Brake fluid level goes up...
Brake fluid level goes up and down. No line caliper or wheel cylinder leaks.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Lexus
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert replied 10 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Based on your statement, I am thinking that the fluid level in the master cylinder is dropping with no leaks. Is this correct?

however at one point, I did have a aftermarket dorman master cylinder on, but it had a little leak from the rear seal at the booster and I put my original back on since it was fine. I mark exactly where it is. After a long ride, the level rises almost 1/4", and then drops when I leave it. I jammed a large bar between the seat and pedal to keep pressure and make sure there is no leaks, and there are none I can see. I did notice last time I took the master cylinder off there was some fluid behind the master cylinder but I am thinking it could just be from the last time I changed it.

Brake fluid does expand a bit when it warms up. However, it's probable you may have a slightly sticking front caliper piston; I would have that checked. This would cause the fluid level to drop (piston not releasing). When it cools off, it would release; this would force fluid back into the reservoir. If the calipers are OK, and as long as you do not need to add any fluid, I think you do not have a problem.

I'll keep an eye on it. I had it like this for almost 5 months and it barely dropped. I am worried it may be the rear seal again

OK.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer today. It was a pleasure to assist you. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed it went down a little from yesterday from when I filled it. Should I still be concerned?

I would pull the master cylinder off and inspect the seal at the back of the cylinder. Clean it real good and reassemble. Drive and then remove it again. I am thinking the rear seal is faulty if you have to fill.

What should I do with my brake line? One of the nuts is stripped and I had to use pilars last time to get around it. Should I cut it and put a new tube and flare it?

Yes. Absolutely.

I pulled the cylinder out without taking out the lines. Saw some brake fluid, which could've been from the last cylinder. I used brake cleaner and compressed air to try and clean out the booster. How would I know if this is fresh fluid

You can't tell is this is fresh or not. Once it is cleaned. drive it and then pull it back off. If you see ANY fluid or moisture, replace the cylinder.

I think there was a little fluid. Might as well order another. Should I get a reman unit or brand new? Also I put alot of strain on one of the lines taking it in and out, should I replace it as well?
I also broke the oring, and I put black rtv temporarily to hold it.

Here is my professional opinion on parts: The cheaper the part is at the parts store is, the cheaper the part is. You should always buy genuine factory parts from a dealer parts department whenever possible. If the Toyota cylinder is 100 dollars, and the parts store cylinder is 30 dollars, is it fair to assume that the less expensive part is lower quality. Somewhere, the seller needs to make money for the less money parts. How do they do it? They cut corners. They don't do a perfect job building it. Buy genuine. Plus the part warranty is a lot better. No parts store will give you one year, unlimited mileage warranty like the factory part has.

I ordered a centric new unit. All the options here are reman. I have had good luck with them before when I replaced my wheel cylinders and the raybestos ones I used all failed, so has one dorman.One another note, should I replace the two brake lines attached to the cylinder? the line with the nut on the master nearest to the booster has been moved alot, and it not leaking, but I think it might have alot of stress. The other one might need a new line anyway if it is cut too short to accommodate them new nut.

You can use small vice grips to loosens and retighten the nut when you fit the new cylinder. As long as the threads are good the flats on the nut are not critical.

What about the rear brake line? Should they be fine from all the bending I did when I moved them around?

As long as it threads in and seals it should be ok

Im still waiting for my new cylinder in the mail. In the meantime, I cut the stripped flare off and put another nut and sealed it. I checked for leaks with and without the vehicle running and saw none once the nut was tightened properly. I still see very tiny amounts of fluid after running it a while but nothing seeping out. Its like microscopic amounts almost. Is this just brake fluid from installing it recently or a leak?