Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I have a 2013 Lexus ES300h. The Automatic Climate Control…

Customer Question
I have a 2013 Lexus...
I have a 2013 Lexus ES300h. The Automatic Climate Control seems to be acting up. In AUTO mode, the fan blower speed seems to be very slow, and it is not very sensitive at all. For example, this morning, the outside temperature was 70F. I set the interior temperature (in auto mode) to 69, 68, 67, 66, with the AC on. The fan speed stayed the same when it should have increased. It is not until I set the interior temperature to 65 or LOW before the fan speed starts to increase. Even at 65, it only increased slightly.This just started to happen recently. It had worked just fine before.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Lexus
9/29/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Chris (aka - Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Do you know if there are climate control codes stored?

When you control the fan speed manually does it respond correct?

Manually works just fine. How do I check for the climate control codes?
I’ll upload some photos. Noticed the exterior temp is 78F with the AC on. With the interior temp set at 70F, noticed how slow the fan is moving. At 67F, noticed the fan still stayed the same. It is not until I set it at 65F (lowest), where the fan starts to increase. Even then, it only went half way.

A scan tool is needed to get the codes. So far the symptoms and good images are pointing to a faulty or HVAC controller needing to be reprogrammed. Another possible cause is the interior temp sensor is reading incorrect. It may be 78 outside but the interior sensor may see 68 thus the reason for the fan ramp up not occurring till the set point is lowered substantially.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Will your HVAC show interior temp?

I’m not sure . How do I check ?

That is not shown in the repair guides for me to see, and I do not have a copy of the owners manual to see if there is this option to see that info on your screen. I am trying to see if the interior temp sensor on the dash near the right side of the steering column is reading wrong.

I’m not aware that there’s a display for the interior temperature.
Lexus Mechanic: Chris (aka - Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago

A scan tool I know can see it. At this time if I were to try something based on what it is doing. That would be the interior temp sensor.

Can you give me the part number for the Interior sensor and replacement location/diagram? I assume this is the cheaper route to try before the HVAC controller.

It is behind the dash to the right of the steering column https://www.dropbox.com/s/tw4al8ym1507eih/roomtemp.pdf?dl=0 Sorry but I do not have access to part numbers being I am a tech and not a dealer parts employee. In the lin are the replacement and inspection steps and it is cheaper than the HVAC controller

Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician