Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I had the moonroof drain (?) back up in my 2003 RX300.

Customer Question
mechanic fixed that. around...
I had the moonroof drain (?) back up in my 2003 RX300. mechanic fixed that. around same time as leak, my airbag light started blinking. They cleaned up the drain problem and the carpets. When they looked into the airbag light blinking, they indicated that the guidance is to replace the airbag unit, if that doesn't work, rthen replace the "computer" and then replace the floor wire.
Now they suggest we just get rid of the car because repair would be $3,000. I was wondering if the water likely damaged the floor wire and maybe the computer? Seems that the water under the carpet would be a perfect way to damage the wire (and maybe the computer). Car is low mileage and I would rather not try to replace it. Any ideas?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Lexus
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/27/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

It is not uncommon for water to cause excessive corrosion in the floor harness is to the SRS systems. This can affect both the seat airbags and the center airbag assembly depending on how much water and how long the moisture was in the car. It doesn't have to flood above the center console to affect the electrical components due to condensation it will cause corrosion and once that happens in the SRS wiring harnesses you can't repair it due to liability reasons the harnesses and components need to be replaced it is conceivably possible to cause a car to be total or damaged beyond repair because of the cost of these parts in the labor involved.