Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I'm adjusting the valve clearance on a Toyota 3MZ engine. I…

Customer Question
I'm adjusting the valve clearance...
I'm adjusting the valve clearance on a Toyota 3MZ engine. I can (when lobes are up) spin the bucket around, depress the bucket with the schley tool (and see the shim rotate within the bucket), shim it, but cannot get the shim out. What am I missing?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Lexus
9/21/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 11 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1-This the Adjustment procedure and testing the clearance

2-CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW PDF FILE SHOWING THE PROCEDURE STEP BY STEP

3-ARE THESE THE STEPS YOU TOOK

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

we use like magnetic finger tool to pull it out,go over the procedure and see what you missing here

let me know if you need anything else

Chad

this is the procedure I followed. On the adjustment procedure, I can get through 1c, stuck on 1d, as with the lifter shimmed, I cannot pry up with the screwdriver and remove the lifter with magnet or anything else. I can spin it though, so it isn't frozen. 274K on the engine, so it has endured many cycles. Shims just seem to be stuck on the lifter. Advice or alternative procedure appreciated. Thank you.

man that a tough one ,i can say i know a different procedure and do not want to tell you wrong ,

I will opt out of your question and open for other expert for you for 2nd opinion on it

just please do not reply back since it will lock question back to me and other experts want see it to assist you further on it

I m sorry good luck with it

Lexus Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

You must had two questions going I sent you an answer to your other question did you receive that?

Here is what I sent:

If you're 100% certain that you have enough clearance between the bottom of the lobe and the top of the shim rotate the bucket around until you see a groove or a gap in the bucket use a rubber tip blow gun and compressed air and give a blast of air right in that groove (not a screw driver as the instructions show) and the shim will pop out. That's the only way to get them out the oil causes a suction between the shim and the bucket.

Please do not forget to rate the assistance I provided you at three or higher and if you have any other questions feel free to reply and I will get back to you.