Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I have a 1999 es 300 with vvt. The overflow coolant

Customer Question
I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 es 300 with vvt. The overflow coolant reservior overfills then the car gets hot

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

I have about 178000 miles. These overheating issues did not exist until I resolved another issue and drained the coolant from the radiator drain cock only and refilled with Prestone all makes coolant.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ES 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

1) yes 2) I've tested the three cooling fan relays and they all work. Also, i tested the ECT that resides near the water outlet (radiator) cap and the resistance declined as the coolant temperature rose, however the resistance was not 2500-3000 ohms at regular temperature.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car was missfiring in four cylinders and a mechanic did a diagnosis for me and dtermined that i needed to replace all the ignitions coils and spark plugs and I did so. Also, i have two malfunctioning upstream air fuel ratio sensors.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Lexus
ALSO, the radiator shakes very much to the point of the upper and lower radiator hoses shaking.
9/19/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert replied 8 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. When you have this condition, you have an engine overheat condition. Most likely, your engine cooling system may be sticking closed too long. This is something that you need to have looked at as soon as you can. If the condition continues, you could have a cylinder head gasket failure.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks! If you wish to have a live phone conversation with me, I can arrange that for you. Thanks again

your answer is to have a mechanic look at it instead of you helping me to self diagnose?

With all due respect, I do not know your skill level. It is policy on this site to err on the side of caution. If you want to self diagnose, remove the thermostat when the engine is cool and put it in a pan of water. It should open at 190 degrees F (use a candy thermometer or similar unit to check the temperature). However, since the thermostat is out, I would replace it with a factory replacement. It is not uncommon for a thermostat of this age (if original) to stick. This would be especially expected if the cooling system has not been serviced every 30,000 miles.

By the way, the car takes awhile to overheat once the the coolant level is full. It will raise to normal operating temperature and then take about 40 minutes of driving to overheat. Also, I'm pretty knowledgeable about car repairs. I recently changed the intake plenum gasket and all six ignition coils. i did notice that both cooling fans immediately come on when the ac is activated however i have yet to see the fans come on as the temperature rises to the red hot zone. When i disconnect the radiator temperature sensor the driver side cooling fan immediately come on. Any thoughts?
Also, I believe that I've changed the thermostat a few months ago. Like I mentioned before the car was not overheating whatsoever until I drained the coolant from the radiator drain cock and not the engine coolant plugs and refilled.

Let's do this first: Take a look at the water pump area. see if there is any evidence of crystals of evaporated coolant there. These cars are notorious for leaking water pump impeller shaft seals. If your seal is leaking, this would lend credence to why it takes longer to overheat when the coolant is full. An impeller shaft seepage may not show you a puddle under the car.

what color would the crystals be?

If you have the correct coolant in it, they will be a pink color.

Sir, in my initial statements, I informed that I had Prestone coolant. Actually when I first did a drain and refill with thermostat change I used the Walmart brand with distilled water and then on this occasion I did a radiator drain with Prestone coolant that said was good for all cars.
The Prestone was used full strength with an eyeball half and half with distilled water. The coolant color is a fluroscent yellow.

Prestone is not recommended. It has silicates in it that that Lexus does not recommend. This can cause damage to the water pump impeller (the vanes that pump the water). You may need a water pump.

Also, when I hear a rattling sound from the water outlet cap area. It sounds like a metal chain that sort of squreeching. Also, the upper hose when squeezed has no pressure when released.

Interesting. Perhaps the cap is faulty. It needs to hold 15 PSI of pressure. I would replace the cap. That explains the issue with no pressure in the hose. The cap is venting the pressure. Perhaps that is all you need!

Ok i will purchase a new cap now. As far as the water pump is concerned where do I look for it? Is it adjacent to the alternator under the water outlet that has the radiator cap on it?

The center of the engine block is where the water pump is.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert