Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

How do I check the alternator with a volt meter

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Lexus
9/18/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert replied 9 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Place your voltmeter on the 20 volts DC scale. Attach the black lead from the meter to the battery Negative post. Touch the Red lead of the meter to the threaded unit on the back of the alternator where a large cable is connected. At Idle, you should read 14.4 volts DC

I can't crank my Lexus. I installed a new battery 1 week ago and now it won't crank

Using the same method, you should read exactly the same as what you are measuring across the battery terminals.

Ok. Let me try that to see. If I'm not reading 14.4, does that mean my alternator is bad

It is also possible that whilst installing the battery you inadvertently caused the high amperage fuse to burn out. This would be in the fuse panel under the hood, look for the ALT fuse ot something that reads 100 A or higher than 100 A

My alternator is reading 12.83 amps
What does that mean

That is about right if the engine is not running