Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Should i buy a 91 ls400 with only 52k miles and has had

Customer Question

Hi, should i buy a 91 ls400 with only 52k miles and has had starter recently replaced? do you forsee problems down the road?
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 30 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The 1991 LS400 product is very good, and exceptionally reliable. A new starter is good, but, you really ought to see if you can secure the service history on this vehicle before buying it. A CARFAX would also be a very good idea (to see if it was ever in a collision). You need to have someone check the water pump for possible leakage. Then look at the auto trans fluid. It needs to be clean and red colored. AVOID this car is the trans fluid is black and smells acrid/has a burnt odor.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input and if you are satisfied. Thanks!

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Hi, so the starter issue should not scare me off from buying this car correct? I read somewhere this might be a reason to not buy the car.

Absolutely not. We replace starters all the time. On a car of this age, a new starter is a very good thing to have

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
ok and the starter replacement will not impact other components and cause them to fail? we are talking about a 27 year old car.

No. The starter and its electrical system is totally separate from the rest of the car.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
the transmission fluid should be checked. after how many miles does this normally need to b replaced or flushed?

Every 30,000 miles.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
ok, lets say the fluid is black. will replacing it solve the problem? or should i just avoid the car altogether?

Avoid if black. Black fluid equals burnt friction components inside the transmission.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
ok nothing else to look out for in the car?

Look at all 4 struts. Oil residue equals a leaking strut which need to be replaced as a set. Road test and do hard braking. Vibrations when braking equals heat distorted rotors which would need to be replaced. Road test over bumps. A metallic banging noise equals the tops support bearing on the struts needs to be replaced. Steering should be tight and precise. Vibration felt in the steering wheel equals tire issues.

Do you have any other questions for me on this request?