Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Why would my car engine sound like it's almost going to

Why would my car engine...
Why would my car engine sound like it's almost going to stall, or almost turn off randomly, when I slow down and stop at a stop sign? I also notice when this happens, that the RPM's drop down to around 600 to 500 RPM's, and I feel the engine shaking/vibrating, like the engine almost wants to die. I cannot make this happen everytime I stop at a stop sign, or traffic signal. It happens everynow and then/randomly.
9/17/2017
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Does the vehicle hesitate when you are pulling off? How does the vehicle idle? When was the last time you have the plugs and coils replaced?

Also, is there a check engine light on in the vehicle?

No, no hesitate when pulling off. Sometimes the vehicle will idle at about 1000 RPM's, sometimes around 800 RPM's. Sometimes the car is almost silent when idling, and sometimes I noticed a little vibration, like it is less vibration, to more, to less, when idling.No check engine light. I have about 75,000 miles on this car. I have not changed the plugs or the ignition coils since i bought it used at around 25,000 miles. The Toyota dealer said it doesn't need a tune-up until 100,000, but since I haven't been having good luck with the 2 Toyota dealerships, I am hesistant to trust their advice.

I have seen this issue caused by vacuum leaks, spark plugs or coils/wires that are just beginning to fail. The fuel pump or fuel regulator, should also be inspected. Although, since you have not had a tune up, I am suspecting that this is the case. 100,000 is just a recommendation. It does not mean that you will not have any issues, and this is one.

I guess I am worried the engine is going to die me at a stop sign, or red light when the RPM's randomly drop down to around 600 to 500 RPM's when I slow down/stop the car, and feel the engine shake like it's going to die at those lower RPM's

I suggest that you get a tune up done, and ask the mechanic to inspect for vacuum leaks and check the fuel pressure.

The tune up will likely correct your issue. Although, this issue can be easily caused by a vacuum leak.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

I have noticed a kind of whistling, or wheezing type of noise, as if air was blowing out of some part of engine/or hoses. Thanks for that information.I have changed spark plugs, and the ignition coils on a honda fit I used to own. Do you think the 2013 Toyota Corolla is easy for a non-mechanic to change the spark plugs, and ignition coils?

Definitely. Just a moment.

Here, is replacement information for the plugs and coils.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for helping someone on a budget! Aside from an oil change, new spark plugs, and new ignition coils, what else has to be done for a tune-up?
I forgot to ask, do you recommend the ignition coils that Toyota uses? And are the spark plugs iridium plugs, and do they come pre-gapped to factory specs?

Oil change, fluid check, fuel filter, and air filter. If you are hearing hissing, then be sure to check for any damaged/loose vacuum hoses. The plugs are iridium. They usually come pre gapped. As far as the coils go, I usually deal with autozone. Denso and Duralast brands are what the will have.

Do you happen to know what the torque spec is for the spark plugs?

The torque is 15 ft lbs

Thanks Todd for the help! I left you 5 stars, and a little tip. Will definitely use your service again if the need arises. Have a good night.

You are welcome, and Thank you very much. Good night.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician