Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Rx300 wont start, one minute please, very clean battery 2000

Customer Question

rx300 wont start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: one minute please
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: very clean battery 2000 lexus rx300
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: clean battery contact s
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it used to not start since a couple of weeks on first try in morning. but after a minute, after trying it will start
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please clarify what you were stating about it used to not start on the first try. This is important information.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am unable to start the rx 300
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am trying to fix it myself

Does the starter engage and spin the engine over?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The starter does not engage or spin over

Does the starter make a single click noise when you try to start the engine (you may need to have the hood up to hear this).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sir. Single click sound
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was not able to explain that sound. As said by u I do hear that single click sound and that is it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the right word

Ok, Got your solution. You have a faulty starter solenoid. The solenoid is comprised of 2 electrical contacts and an electromagnetically operated plunger contact. When you try to start, the electromagent plunger activates. This is the click noise.

After the plunger is energized, it moves to cause the contacts to create a circuit; this sends power to the starter. Over time, the contacts wear out. This causes not power to the starter and no start.

Your options are: Remove the starter and replace the plunger and the contact set inside the solenoid, or, replace the starter. Either way, you need to remove the starter.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm if you are satisfied with my input. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you recommend replacing the starter or just the plunger is ok

I would replace the starter if it is the original unit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I started removing the air filter container. I am stuck. Not sure how to unhook these cables in attached. There are 3 in total.
1 in 1.jpg and 2 in 2.jpg

How to detach 2: on the wire connector you depress the locking tab. On the clamp, you use either a tool designed for this or you use pliers. Grab the small tab and squeeze the pliers closed against the bigger square tab. This relaxes the tension so you can slide the clamp backwards away from where it is now.

I cannot see what how to detach one is oriented.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please find attached the top of the air filter
also the inside where there seems to be something attached, i am not able to remove the container

You take the air filter box out as an assembly. The thing circled in the picture does not come off