Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

Rx300 wont start, one minute please, very clean battery 2000…

Customer Question
Rx300 wont start Mechanic's...

Rx300 wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

One minute please

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lexus?

Very clean battery 2000 lexus rx300

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Clean battery contact s

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It used to not start since a couple of weeks on first try in morning. but after a minute, after trying it will start

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Lexus
9/16/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert replied 5 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please clarify what you were stating about it used to not start on the first try. This is important information.

i am unable to start the rx 300
i am trying to fix it myself

Does the starter engage and spin the engine over?

No
The starter does not engage or spin over

Does the starter make a single click noise when you try to start the engine (you may need to have the hood up to hear this).

Sir. Single click sound
I was not able to explain that sound. As said by u I do hear that single click sound and that is it
Thanks for the right word

Ok, Got your solution. You have a faulty starter solenoid. The solenoid is comprised of 2 electrical contacts and an electromagnetically operated plunger contact. When you try to start, the electromagent plunger activates. This is the click noise.

After the plunger is energized, it moves to cause the contacts to create a circuit; this sends power to the starter. Over time, the contacts wear out. This causes not power to the starter and no start.

Your options are: Remove the starter and replace the plunger and the contact set inside the solenoid, or, replace the starter. Either way, you need to remove the starter.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm if you are satisfied with my input. Thanks!

Do you recommend replacing the starter or just the plunger is ok

I would replace the starter if it is the original unit.

How to detach 2: on the wire connector you depress the locking tab. On the clamp, you use either a tool designed for this or you use pliers. Grab the small tab and squeeze the pliers closed against the bigger square tab. This relaxes the tension so you can slide the clamp backwards away from where it is now.

I cannot see what how to detach one is oriented.

You take the air filter box out as an assembly. The thing circled in the picture does not come off

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert