Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

I replaced my air conditiong compressor and the alternator

Customer Question
went bad. I raplaced the...
I replaced my air conditiong compressor and the alternator went bad. I raplaced the alternator also and the car will not start. I can jump start it, but as soon as I turn off the car, it won't start again.
JA: Have you tested the battery? Do you hear a clicking when you try and start the car?
Customer: The battery is only 2 years old and has a full charge
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 2005 RX330
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have replaced the compressor and alternator.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats pretty much the only problem I have
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Lexus
8/17/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Greg, Import tech replied 4 months ago
Greg
Greg, Import tech

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Do you have a voltmeter to do a few voltage checks .

Greg

I already checked the voltages. They are fine.

Okay good , what is the voltage of just the battery .

What is the voltage of the battery when the engine is running .

Greg

About 14 volts

With engine running 14 volts good,

what is the voltage when you try to start the engine .

What does the voltage drop to when trying to crank .

Greg

It was about 10 when it could start. The only way I can start it is by jump starting it with one of the jumper cables attached to a bolt in the fuse box.

Let me understand this jump start from another vehicle ?

or jumping from the battery to the fuse box .

GREG

Jumping from another vehicle to the fuse box. That's the only way it will start. No power is going from alternator to battery.

Okay then you have a problem with the connection on the battery or the battery cable is bad .between the battery and the main fuse box is a connection issue .

Check voltage on the centre of the battery post then check the voltage on the battery clamps to confirm battery and clamp connection .

But looks like a typical battery connection or a bad battery cable .

Rgds Greg

lexpert
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech