Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

I have a 2008 Lexus rx400h. The local Lexus dealer says that

Customer Question
because I drove 3000 miles...
i have a 2008 Lexus rx400h. The local Lexus dealer says that because I drove 3000 miles after they diagnosed a "check hybrid system" as a failed transmission oil pump, either the inverter or the electric motor or both, had failed.
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: less than 2000 miles ago.
JA: What is the model of your '08 Lexus?
Customer: rx400h
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had an independent mechanic change out the transmission oil pump about 3 weeks ago
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: on 3 or 4 occasions the car would speed up occasionally and give a hard thump sound when the brake was pressed.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Lexus
Answered in 1 day by:
8/17/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 3 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

I am not sure exactly what your question is. Did lexus deny warranty or was their diagnosis incorrect about the transmission oil pump. Please clarify so that I may better help you

The car is not under warranty. The dealer diagnosis was that the oil pump was the cause of the "check hybrid" light.The tech at the dealer told me that it was ok to drive the car with the pump not working. The oil pump was changed by an independent shop 3000 miles after the "Check Hybrid" light was diagnosed by Lexus Dealer. The car was running powerfully but within a day it just cut off and would not restart. The dealer said that the oil pump was non-functional too long and caused the inverter and/or the transaxle to fail. I denied further diagnosis for them to determine which.
My question is, is the dealer putting one over on me or does what they are saying make sense?
What is that pump for? Is that like an auxiliary pump or is it the only pump for the transmission. I have heard that it only comes on cars with the towing package, so can you educate me a bit?
I don't know if I can trust the adviser, and I am wondering if he is upset because I had the pump installed by a third party.
By the way, the part nbr for the pump is 35300-48011.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager